Marriage And Divorce Considerations
Family matters are among the most complicated legal matters. They entail major changes in one’s life. As such, it’s common for the individuals involved to act rashly, letting their emotions guide them. Yet remaining calm is crucial. The decisions made during family law proceedings will have long-lasting impacts on one’s relationships and finances, and it’s important to carefully consider one’s options.
The legal team at The Patterson Law Office, PLLC, can help. Since 2011, our firm has provided top-level guidance to individuals in Charlotte and throughout Mecklenburg County in family law matters. We understand the anxiety and worries inherent in such matters, and offer professional, personalized legal support at every step.
Assistance In A Comprehensive Range Of Family Law Concerns
Whether spouses are seeking to strengthen their relationships or protect themselves during divorce, our firm can assist. We offer representation in a full range of considerations, including:
- Child custody and support — Prioritizing your children’s well-being is a priority. Our firm is adept at helping spouses reach accord in considerations of child custody, child visitation, child support and related matters.
- Alimony and spousal support — Many individuals worry about maintaining financial independence after divorce. We’re committed to helping our clients establish firm monetary footing. It is important to keep in mind that North Carolina is one of the few states that still recognizes “heart balm” claims, such as alienation of affection and criminal conversation, which provide recourse for infidelity and similar behaviors and can affect alimony outcomes.
- Equitable distribution — Marital property will be divided equitably upon divorce. This does not always mean, however, that it will be divided equally. Our firm assists its clients in their efforts to retain their most valuable possessions, and can take action when one suspects a spouse is attempting to unlawfully conceal assets from proceedings.
- Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements — Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements strengthen marriages by neutralizing financial concerns from the outset. Working with an attorney is key to devising these documents in such a way that each spouse is protected.
- High Net Worth — Attorney Patterson has experience litigating for and against high profile and high net worth individuals—including celebrities and professional athletes. She understands that these cases often require a critical uncovering of assets, well-founded income imputation arguments and the ability to be discreet against a public that clamors for your private details. Whether you are seeking asset protection or to maintain a standard of living, our office has the expertise, tenacity and practical approach needed to help you meet your goals.
Our approach is at once compassionate and pragmatic. We are sensitive to our clients’ needs, and work hard to help them understand their options and obtain the most positive legal outcomes possible.